Sometimes it is necessary to install an existing collector configuration to a new server either because the old server dies or is decommissioned or for other reasons. How can this be done in the most seamless way?
- First generate a sources.json file of the old collector configuration using this link going to the Manage Data -> Collection dashboard and using the "i" or information button
- Update the json to make sure cutoffTimestamp is set correctly (using epochconverter.com in the downloaded json for each source so that legacy data does not get re-ingested and you can specify the time from which logs should be ingested by the collector on the new server).
- On the old server if this is an option, stop the collector and uninstall it as needed.
- Delete the collector in the UI in the Manage -> Collection dashboard. This will free up the name so it can be used for the new collector install in the next step and the same collector name metadata will be associated with the new collector agent. If this is not done, you will see a epoch timestamp suffixed to the new collector's name
- Install the collector on the server per the doc
sudo ./SumoCollector.sh -q -Vsumo.accessid=<accessId> -Vsumo.accesskey=<accessKey>
SumoCollector.exe -console -q -Vsumo.accessid=<accessId> -Vsumo.accesskey=<accessKey>