During installation, you can choose to run as the root or you can choose to run the Collector from a specific user account. This option can be very helpful in situations where you don't want full access to the computer where the Collector is installed, instead, the Collector assumes the limitations and privileges of the user account. Choosing to run as a user means that the collector won't be able to gather logs that are only readable by root.
Note: It may make sense to create a new user account that has privileges only to the directories that you'd like the Collector to access. For example, you could create an account named Sumo, and assign permissions that work with your security policies but still allow access to appropriate data.
1. After downloading the Collector, double-click the installer.
3. Accept the default installation location, or specify a different location. Click Next.
4. When asked if you'd like to Run As Another User, do one of the following:
- Mac/Linux: Type the name of the user account and click Next.
- Windows: Type the name and password of the user account and click Next.
- Unix: Type the user account name.
5. If you'd like to choose a Source at this point, choose the file and click Next. Otherwise, you can set up Sources at a later time.
6. In the next screen, you'll see the information Sumo Logic has about the Collector. Click Next.
7. In a few seconds the activation code appears; copy and paste the activation code.
8. Return to the Sumo Logic Web Application and click Activate Collector in the Collectors tab.
9. Enter the Activation Code and a name to identify the Collector.
Please note the following:
- During set up, you must type a valid user name in the dialog box. If the user name is incorrect, you'll need to start the install process over.
- (Windows only) The user account you choose to run must have the right to Log on as a Service. This can be set in Administrative Tools -> Local security Policy -> User Rights Assignment, add the user for Log on as a Service.
- (Windows only) When it's time to upgrade the Collector, you'll need to enter a valid password for the user account. If you've forgotten the password, make sure to reset the password before upgrading.