When installing the Sumo Logic Collector on Windows, I saw this error message:
"Sumo Logic is unable to authenticate using the supplied credentials. Please check the credentials and try again."
The installation was unable to complete. What's wrong?
There are a few known issues that could result in this error message being displayed:
- The user name and password or access keys supplied with the prompt for "Sumo Logic Account Credentials" are incorrect or do not have permission to manage Collectors within Sumo Logic.
- The user name and password supplied with the prompt for "Run As User Selection" are incorrect or do not have permission to create or start the Sumo Logic service. Make sure that the user account supplied during this step is a server user account that has permissions to install and start services on the server. By default, Sumo Logic uses the local system account if no user/password is supplied during this step.
- The Collector is unable to contact the Sumo Logic service. Test connectivity to the service via Telnet from the command line:
telnet collectors.sumologic.com 443
If this test fails, but you can get to the same URL via your browser, then it is possible your environment uses a proxy for external communication to the internet. In this case, configure the Collector to communicate via the proxy. More information on this can be found here.
4. If you are performing an unattended install using user.properties and a source.json file:
If after validating steps 1 through 4 you still receive the same error, then the next step is to validate that the Sumo Logic installer can find the executable needed to start the Sumo Logic Collector service. The executable used by the Sumo Logic Collector installer is called sc.exe and is usually located at C:\Windows\System32.
Run the following command to verify that the \Windows\System32 directory is located in your PATH.
This command will return the contents of your PATH environment variable.
If C:\Windows\System32 is not within your PATH environment variables, perform one of the following procedures to complete the installation of the Collector.
Manually start the Sumo Logic service:
- Go to Start.
- In Search Programs and Files type services.msc to open the Services panel.
- Within the list of services find SumoLogic Collector.
- Right-click SumoLogic Collector and select Start to start the Collector service.
- Once you confirm the SumoLogic Collector service is started, select OK to exit the displayed error prompt.
- Select Next within the Sumo Logic Account Credentials prompt to continue the installation.
Add \Windows\System32 to your PATH environment variables:
- Go to Start > Control Panel > System> Advanced system settings.
- Select Environment Variables.
- Under System Variables select the PATH variable and then click Edit.
- Add C:\Windows\system32 to the list of path values.
- Click OK to save the update and then OK again to close the System Variables prompt.
- Restart the Collector installation process.